This is a "if I'd known then what I know now" post about infertility. These are my opinions and you are more than welcome to disagree. My hope is that some day this blog may spark another person to be a better advocate for their fertility!
1. Take your vitamins. Prenatal Gummies are my favorite. If you are a female of childbearing age, you should take prenatal vitamins every.single.day whether you are trying to conceive or not. They are good for your body. Plus, some of the most important time to take these vitamins is before you even know you are pregnant. My RE wants his patients to take them for three months before any fertility treatments.
2. Don't take clomid without proper monitoring. I took it and I wasn't monitored properly. Fortunately, I didn't experience any negative outcomes. But, if you are not monitored properly, you could produce too many follicles resulting in higher order multiples. It is the opinion of my RE that one should only take clomid for six cycles in their entire life. I wish I would have saved my "tries" with clomid for the specialist.
3. If you have tried for a year and haven't gotten pregnant, request a semen analysis. I have talked with several ladies on the message boards who went through several treatments (often with OBGYNs -- see above) only to later find out their husband's count was less than perfect. There are several factors that can affect the count. Typical treatment for low testosterone can actually deplete sperm. Semen analysis isn't cheap and it generally isn't covered by insurance. If you get to this point, I would recommend seeing an RE and letting them preform the test. They are going to make you redo it if you go see them after the fact...so just start there.
4. See an RE. If you have been trying for a year (or six months if you are over 35), ask to be referred to an RE. (Most) OBGYNs are not specialized in infertility, so while they are great for treating pregnant women, they are not as knowledgable in treating IF. I love.love.love my OBGYN, but being referred to my RE was the best decision. I have learned SO much about my body and the reproductive process since I started seeing him.
5. Know your body. Be an advocate for yourself. ASK questions. I just did what the doctors told me for way to long. Research and ask why? You are paying your doctor good money. If something doesn't seem right, point it out and question the doctor. If your doctor will not take time to listen and answer questions, then find a doctor who will!
Thursday, October 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment